- Air Train - The air train diffuses incoming breathing air/gas onto the face port/lens to defog and ventilate.
- Defogging Steady Flow Valve - Provides an additional flow of gas into the helmet for ventilation and defogging.
- Emergency (EGS) Valve - Supplies backup breathing gas to the diver.
- Fiberglass and Carbon Fiber Reinforced Shell - Kirby Morgan® has over 50 years experience in composite laminations. The helmet shell is hand laid up glass fiber reinforced thermal setting polyester (fiberglass) with carbon fiber reinforcement at key points for added durability. It is light and highly impact resistant, and provides a heat/cold barrier as well as being an excellent electrical nonconductor.
- Gas Supply Non-Return Valve - Commercial Rated™, It prevents loss of gas pressure in the event of umbilical damage.
- Nose Block Device - Nose Block Device allows the diver to block the nose to equalize ears.
- Rapid Change Modular Communications Systems - Because the module is easily removed the helmet, repair or replacement of communications parts is quick and trouble free. It is available with either a male waterproof connector or a bare wire post connection.
- REX® Regulator - Full adjustment balanced piston is a breakthrough design that exceeds all requirements of all government or other testing agencies. It has the best work-of-breathing performance when compared to ANY other commercial diving regulator.
- Side & Top Weights - Brings unsurpassed balance to the helmet while providing for accessory mounting areas.
- Side Block - Multi use side block has additional ports built in to provide controlled air flow, if needed.
- Silicone Oral Nasal Mask - Made of a superior silicone material which is hypo-allergenic and has a longer work life than latex.
- Whisker Wings - Bubble deflecting Whisker wings keep bubbles further from face port and ears, improving visibility and decreasing internal noise.
- Positive-Lock™ Latch System - Developed by Kirby Morgan in 1992, consists of two sealed Positive-Lock™ pull pins: which are pulled forward to release the neck collar and neck dam locking system. Even when the latches are released, the O-ring sealed neck dam maintains a positive seal and will not allow the seal to be broken until the collar actually clears the diver's shoulders, thus helping to prevent any flooding of the helmet.
- Head Cushion - Gives the commercial diving helmet a secure, well balanced feel as well as excellent thermal protection during long work periods.
- Adjustable Neck Pad - The helmet attached yoke system has an adjustable neck pad which is made from a scuff resistant elastomer. In conjunction with the spring activated front neck dam ring lock, it provides protection for the bottom of the commercial diving helmet.
- Internal Adjustable Chin Strap - The adjustable chin support, along with the adjustable neck pad on the locking collar gives the commercial diver a comfortable, secure fit.
The Kirby Morgan® Commercial Diving Helmet 47 has been tested and conforms to the performance requirements as set forth in Annex II of Directive 89/686/EEC and, as far as applicable, the EN 250:2000, EN 250/A1:2006 and EN 15333-1:2008 (class B). It is fully CE marked with demand valve REX®.
- Weight: 33.56 lbs.
- Helmet Shell: Fiberglass, polyester resin, polyester gel coat, and carbon fibers
- Control Knobs: Polyurethane
- Lens: Scratch Resistant Polycarbonate
- Neck Dam: Neoprene. Optional latex neck dam available.
- O-Rings: Buna-N
- Head Cushion: Nylon bag filled with #4 Polyester foam
- Recommended Lubricants: All helmets and masks are lubricated at the factory with Christo-Lube®. Kirby Morgan recommends Christo-Lube® or Tribolube® for all gas train components. Dow Corning® 111 Silicone or equivalent may be used for helmet and mask components that are used with gas mixtures containing less than 50% oxygen
- Rex Regulator: The Rex regulator on the Kirby Morgan 47 offers high performance. The regulator has been tested at Dive Lab at Panama City, Florida. It meets or exceeds all current U.S. Navy and European diving standards.
- Cage Code: The cage code for identifying KMDSI products for U.S. government purposes is 58366.
- CR Standards: These helmets meet or exceeds all standards established by Dive Lab of Panama City, Florida, and are CR (Commercially Rated) marked.
- CE Standards: The Kirby Morgan® Commercial Diving Helmet 47 is CE Approved.
Kirby Morgan 47 Commercial Diving Helmet with Posts - P/N: 500-070 Includes:
- (1) Regulator Tool Kit with Pouch - P/N: 525-768
- (1) Manual KM 47 - PP/N: 100-070
- (1) Logbook with Pen - P/N: 125-001
- (1) Helmet/Mask Bag - P/N: 500-901
The minimum operating temperature recommended for this helmet is 37 degrees F, only in regards to regulator performance. At the time of this writing, no hot water shroud is available for this helmet for heating the diver’s breathing gas.
Without a hot water shroud, the commercial diver may be subject to hypothermia due to cold gas inspiration temperatures. Kirby Morgan makes no physiological recommendations regarding minimum safe operating temperatures for commercial divers using this commercial diving helmet.
Usually the greatest danger of demand regulator icing will be encountered on deck when the surrounding air temperature is less than 32°F (0°C). This effect is primarily due to the refrigeration effect of breathing air pressure reduction, and the addition of moisture from the divers exhalation coming in contact with the topside air temperature.
Recommended overbottom (OB)gas supply pressure for best performance at depths are calculated by the formula (fsw x 0.445+14.7) + recommended p.s.i.g.
The Kirby Morgan® 47 Commercial Diving Helmet with Posts has a new and improved breathing system, oral nasal mask, and water ejection system. The Kirby Morgan 47 comes with the new Rex® Demand Valve (patents pending). This new valve has an adjustable balanced piston, which is a breakthrough design that exceeds the requirements of all government and other testing agencies. It has the best "work-of-breathing" performance when compared to ANY other commercial diving helmet. The Kirby Morgan® Commercial Diving Helmet 47 has been tested and meets or exceeds European CE requirements and is fully commercially rated.
The Kirby Morgan 47 consists of two major assemblies: the commercial diving helmet shell/helmet ring assembly and the neck dam/neck ring assembly. The chrome plated, machined brass helmet ring houses the latch catches and provides protection for the bottom end of the commercial diving helmet. The helmet ring assembly also provides the foundation for an externally adjustable chin support. This support, along with the adjustable neck pad on the locking collar, gives the commercial diver a secure, custom fit. The balance and comfort of this commercial diving helmet is unsurpassed, even when the commercial diver must work for long periods in the face down position.
The Kirby Morgan 47 also features a quick change communications module, available with either bare wire posts or a Marsh Marine style waterproof connector, and allows for easy, efficient maintenance of the commercial diving helmet's communications. The KM 47 is configured to receive the umbilical over the shoulder in the "B" configuration.
Warning: Before attempting any diving in any type of contaminated water, a complete commercial diving and topside course in hazardous materials emergencies should be completed. The commercial divers and the topside team must be properly trained and have the proper safety equipment. All commercial diving helmets and suits can leak water under certain conditions. Commercial divers should use extreme caution when diving in contaminated waters.
* Please reference the Accessories and Parts categories in the left hand column for all accessories and parts associated with the Kirby Morgan 47 Commercial Diving Helmet with Posts. Click on the KM47 and then the KM47 with Posts category and the Accessories and Parts categories will appear beneath it.
*Please reference the Accessories tab for all accessories and kits associated with this item along with instructions on usage.
*For Questions on Helmet Retaining Systems, please refer to the bulletin in Attachments tab which contains more detailed information.
Brand Kirby Morgan Video No